March 29, 2006

A rotten Apple

I know that this isn't exactly "news", but following a discussion I just had, I feel I have to comment on the recent claims from Apple that avoiding DRM technologies is the same as sponsoring Piracy.

Now, I understand why France thinks that anyone who purchages a song must be it's owner, thus being able to listen to the mp3 in any device they want. When I buy a CD, I like the fact that I'm able to listen to in in my CD player, on my computer and on my cellphone (that nowadays acts also as my mp3 player). The same way, if I download legally an mp3 by purchasing it, I want and feel to have the right to listen to in where I want.

On the other hand, I understand why Apple is pissed off: if the law passes in France, they will have to either stop selling in France or take off their DRM so there's no limitation anymore. Either approach costs them more money than having PR people talking to the media and trying to convince the general population that the law is bad.

What I don't understand, and quite pisses me off, is what Apple's PR's are caliming.

They said that, if the law passes, “legal music sales will plummet just when legitimate alternatives to piracy are winning over customers,” the company said. Free movies would follow close behind, the company asserted, “in what will rapidly become a state-sponsored culture of piracy.” Apple also predicted that iPod sales would increase, because customers could load their players with music that can’t be protected, including music from illegal sources.

Now, that are obvious lies. People who buy music to Apple, would buy it as well if that music wasn't with DRM. And people that doesn't buy DRM'd stuff (like me) would possibly start buying music to them instead of using non-DRM'd alternatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment