4.7.06

Second Life on Linux


Second LifeFinaly (I don't know since when, but I checked last time a month ago or so...) you don't have to give credit card info to create an account in Second Life. As a matter of fact you didn't had to two years ago or something, when I first tried it, but when all the hype came back some months ago, I decided to try it again (hoping that they already had a Linux client, which they didn't) and you needed to have a credit card to register to the free account... So I didn't. Now, when you register for a free account, you can do one of three things: give your credit card info and recieve 250 units of 2nd Life money, or give your paypal info and recieve 250 units of 2nd Life money, or not give anything and recieving anything. When I did that, I got:

Your Second Life account has been sucessfully created.

1. Download and install the Second Life client
Windows 1.10.5.1 (25MB) / Mac 1.10.5.1 (51MB)


So I just ignored that page and went here where you can get a Linux client (still in alpha state - use not reccomended!). You also have there a link for a forum where probably the linux client issues are discussed, but I decided to do something else :-P So, I downloaded the alpha client and tried to run it, just to get a
WARNING: Unable to create window, be sure screen is set at 32-bit color in Control Panels->Display->Settings

This is wrong: the script should have died before (and of course I'm using a 32-bit color depth) on this INFO message, that should instead be an ERROR:
INFO: createContext: window creation failure. SDL: Couldn't find matching GLX visual

This isn't surprising for me since I'm using vesa instead of my video card drivers. I'm doing this because I'm using on this workstation Fedora Core 4, and those drivers suddenly stopped working here some months ago... well, the kind of stuff you have to deal with if you're using this supposedly "stable" distro.
So, I changed again to the i810 driver and it worked. Tested Second Life again and this time it didn't crash - it just failed to show anything on the window. Pressing CTRL+C on the shell running it or clicking on the "close window" cross did absolutely nothing: it crashed. Checking the log, I found what might be the problem:

WARNING: Couldn't load font ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3.otf
WARNING: Couldn't load font ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3.otf
WARNING: Couldn't load font ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3.otf
WARNING: Couldn't load font ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3.otf
WARNING: Couldn't load font ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3.otf

Are this Chinese caracters or what? :-P Anyway, I suppose that my card simply isn't supported for this game. As a matter of fact, no computer I have has a better card than this, so... Searching about it prooves myself right:

Incompatible cards: Intel, Intel Extreme, 3DFX, RIVA, TNT, SiS, S3, S3TC, Savage, Twister, Rage, Kyro, Volari, XGI, MILENNIA, most cards by MATROX.

Seems I'm stucked with text-based virtual worlds. So, next time you try to tell me "why do you like talkers?" or "why don't you play [put name of MMORPG here]?" or something like that, remember - I love talkers but I wold love to have better alternatives. You just have to show me one...

2 comments:

  1. Wine maybe solve problems ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The list of unsupported graphical cards isn't just for Linux, but also for Mac OS and Windoze, so no, emulation won't solve it...

    ReplyDelete