May 16, 2007

Open Letter to Trent Reznor

Dear Trent Reznor,

I've read your words, and I agree with you, I really do. I also think that record labels are getting more and more desperate, and they're are screwing music lovers more and more. I agree that "Year Zero" is way to expensive, and I agree with the fact that Interscope Records, ownerd by Universal Music Group, don't give a damn about their artists and their artists fans - those who give them money. Oh, and the concept of MAXI-singles? You're right, it's completely bullshit, a product designed to extort more money from those wanting to get access to art.

The point is, you say that you're trying your best to make sure the products that NIN puts in the marketplace are worth purchasing, but you're failing miserably. Why? Well, while I really think it's awsome (and having the label you have you surely show you also have balls) all the Year Zero's concept and the whole world built around it, awsome that you're going to give for free to your fans, one way or another, all Year Zero's songs, and I really think you understand that goes inside the mind of your fans... You criticize your record label, but you're still sticking with them. For me, any product you put in the marketplace under Interscope aren't worth buying, even for one cent. It's plain simple, I don't support Universal in any way, so I don't give them money, while you criticize them but still put money in their pockets. Those guys don't consider your work as art, but as products, and they don't give a damn about you or your fans, they only care about profit. That's way too obvious when you know that they want to minimize consumers freedoms to maximize their profit. I'm sorry, but being signed with a major, the message you're passing is that, while you don't like your label's attitude, you prefer dealing with it and make more money than being nice to your fans.

Are you really against Interscope and Universal as you look like? Please, do a favor to your fans (and yourself): go indie. You'll even sleep better.

7 comments:

  1. NIN are under an album contract with Interscope, and are not allowed to release anything anywhere else. They still owe Interscope one full length in order to abide to that contract, and Trent has said multiple times (you can read about it on the Spiral) that he's waiting for that to end so he can do whatever the hell he wants.

    With YZ he chose to go with the contract but leak the album (although you'll find it hard to get anyone officially agreeing with this) to circumvent this. The law can be a bitch and you could say he's doing all he can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fred: thanks for the info! Can you please point me to a link for that? "The Spiral" is only for paid accounts, so I'm not able to read it from there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:37 PM

    bem lá vou eu ouvir NIN pela primeira vez...
    Ouvi dizer que é industrial com electro! Deve ser lindo deve! :P

    Atomic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I had, but a couple of people on Digg quoted the whole posts trent did on the spiral, so you may read those there. There's also a discussion going on here that covers the contract.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, thank you for the references! I hope the "remix CD" will be the latest there on Interscope, since remix CD's often don't sell as much as standard releases, and also sometimes don't have a tour on them... That way NIN would soon be out of Interscope's game. I wonder how's Marilyn Manson's deal with Interscope...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's your answer:

    Given all that, do you have any idea how to approach the release of your next album?

    I've have one record left that I owe a major label, then I will never be seen in a situation like this again. If I could do what I want right now, I would put out my next album, you could download it from my site at as high a bit-rate as you want, pay $4 through PayPal. Come see the show and buy a T-shirt if you like it. I would put out a nicely packaged merchandise piece, if you want to own a physical thing. And it would come out the day that it's done in the studio, not this "Let's wait three months" bulls---.

    Full article

    ReplyDelete