April 03, 2008

Opera Mini 4.1 beta

Opera Mini is already aiming for its next release - 4.1 - and its beta is already out. If you follow this blog you know that I'm an user and fan of Opera Mini, but I'm still using Opera Mini 3, since Opera Mini 4 doesn't have an option of having the "mobile view" sliced in pages, like Opera Mini 3 has, and v4 eats too much memory trying to load an huge page at once, failing to do so and stoping me of using it to browse in my Motorola E1 cellphone.

Now that Opera announced the beta version of Opera Mini 4.1, I just had to try it. It comes with great new features:
  • autocomplete of URLs
  • offline access
  • search for text within a web page
  • download and upload files

The default search engine switched from Yahoo! back to Google (which is great, for me at least). Also, it is way quicker (enhancements were made server-side), and consumes a lot less memory (so, 4.1 fixes my issue with 4, and is going to replace my Opera Mini 3 installation). Yet, Opera Mini 4.1, even in "mobile view" mode, is slower than Opera Mini 3.

Regarding to the "beta" state of this release, like what happened with Opera Mini 4, beta really means beta: just to test out all this things, but nothing more than that, I had to fire up the browser four times because it kept crashing. So, it's still not to use, but I'm surely upgrade as soon as the final version is released.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:32 AM

    Very nice but... where are my fuckin' accesskeys, Opera??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, accesskey support would be great... Maybe in 4.2?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:52 PM

    accesskeys for me, too. google reader and rememberthemilk will be much more nicer to user!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:45 PM

    +1 access keys

    ReplyDelete