September 25, 2006

meme: top ten UNIX shell commands


bash
So, it seems that there's already another meme flooding the blogsphere, and who am I to break the chain?

This are my most used shell commands in my work station:


[marado@noori ~]$ history | awk '{print $2}' | awk 'BEGIN {FS="|"} {print $1}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr | head -10
144 mplayer
81 ll
81 cd
67 fg
61 perl
58 mv
49 vi
41 ssh
35 wget
33 ls
[marado@noori ~]$

Some notes on this:
  • I was surprised with mplayer being the first command. Yet, that's justifiable if you take in consideration that I use mplayer as my music player whenever I'm playing stuff I have on my hard disk (not that frequent since I spend my work time listening to Pandora, tho), as my podcast player (twice a week, since I only listen to two weekly podcasts) and to listen to online radio (when the Flash player stops spitting sound and I don't want to restart the browser (there are so many tabs!).
  • ll and ls should be aggregated as one, and its use is obvious.
  • fg should be aggregated in vi, since I almost never :q my vim instances, but, instead, put them in background...
  • perl is quite obvious, since I work coding with it. While I don't code in this machine (I ssh to some boxes where I code remotely) I write some scripts and similar stuff here.
  • Finaly wget. 10 are .zip's, 6 are .pdf's, 13 are mp3. .zip's, .pdf's and others are all because everything people link me to and that I get to read later is wget'd. That include .pdf's, .zip's, .pps's and such. The downloaded mp3's are all from a netlabel called tlhotra.

6 comments:

  1. 305 cd
    239 ll
    59 vi
    43 perl
    30 mv
    29 rm
    24 cat
    21 mplayer
    19 make
    19 cp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:53 PM

    105 ls
    78 sudo
    73 ./youtube-dl
    57 cd
    21 mplayer
    20 s
    17 su
    15 ./sauerbraten_unix
    14 man
    14 less

    Uso mais o XFCE...

    Atomic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, that's quite a show of who works and who plays... Me and jac with perl and vi, and then Atomic downloading youtube videos and playing a Cube game! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:10 PM

    I suppose this depends on which machine I am using but on one machine I have:

    73 vi
    66 tf
    61 ls
    57 cd
    36 ssh
    26 fg
    21 wget
    16 man
    14 svn
    12 telnet

    and another I have:

    113 ls
    83 cd
    54 view
    29 wget
    26 chmod
    23 man
    19 pushd
    18 grep
    15 diff
    10 dirs

    I am sort of surprised at man but I do use it to refer to some things like ascii charts, etc. Another surprise is svn (I usually use CVS more). I guess I recently was playing with svn or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, I have HISTCONTROL=ignoredups , so those entries are unique. If they weren't I would probably have ll and cd on top, big time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:23 PM

    angelillo@Ofelia:~$ history | awk '{print $2}' | awk 'BEGIN {FS="|"} {print $1}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr | head -10
    97 su
    37 sshs
    33 ping
    22 cat
    21 ls
    19 youtubo
    19 cd
    15 javac
    12 nano
    11 du

    ReplyDelete