May 31, 2007

Updating from Fedora Core 5 to Fedora Core 6

I have a Fedora machine, not because I like Fedora (I don't), but because it is all setted up in a way that it would be too costly to migrate it to anything else. So, until I don't have the time to rebuild that system, I'm keeping with Fedora there... Last October I've updated it from FC4 to FC5: a really painful process. Now, since FC5 will be discontinued in less than a month, I decided to upgrade from FC5 to FC6, and was really surprised to see that the process was preety trivial:

# yum upgrade
# rpm -Uhv \
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/fedora-release-6-4.noarch.rpm \
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/fedora-release-notes-6-3.noarch.rpm
# cp fedora-core.repo.rpmnew fedora-core.repo
# cp fedora-extras.repo.rpmnew fedora-extras.repo
# cp fedora-updates.repo.rpmnew fedora-updates.repo
# yum remove gnocky bmp-mp3 mplayer
# yum -y update
# yum upgrade
# reboot

It all went well, but the fact that the fonts have changed (are bluried) at least on konsole (I'll check that later, for now I just enlarged the font).

Surprising!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:21 PM

    In the other hand, upgrading in a debian like distribution:
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I'm a Debian fan... Yet, comparing this to the previous upgrade, it was excellent!

    ReplyDelete