October 24, 2007

How History is re-written

I wrote this article countless times for the last fre weeks. I wrote and re-wrote, cited some books, gave some examples, and got more and more pissed off and frustrated while trying to write it.

So, I quit. I won't give examples. I'll just state it: while Internet, Wikipedia and all the new age of information and user generated content is great, it makes me angry every time I see one of its consequences in effect: History is getting distorted and even re-written more and faster.

I wonder than this global state of wiki-style "let's rewrite history" isn't getting too close to what was done in the novel 1984... But the small group of people doing that is those interested in "writting history", which could be anyone.

It scares me.

No comments:

Post a Comment